Roscommon- 6th July
Nap of the day – Bantry Bay (7.45)
5.45 – Irish Stallion Farms EBF Maiden - Haraz – Win
Having shaped up well on his debut at Gowran Park last month, Haraz might be up to winning this. He ran third to two horses that had the advantage of a previous run and should be a lot better for the experience. Escondida is the obvious danger as he has three runs to his name and went close when second here a month ago.
6.15 – Supervalu’s Roscommon Apprentice Handicap - Versilia Gal – Win
One that won’t be inconvenienced by any change in the ground is Versilia Gal and she might be best in an open race. She has finished third on her last two starts including when behind Cheers Buddy and Three Bells over a furlong further than this at Bellewstown on Friday. Six Of Hearts ran second over this trip at Fairyhouse last Wednesday but is certainly best on a fast surface as is Burren View Lady who is a five-time winner on the all-weather and was also successful on good-to-firm ground at Thirsk 12 months ago.
6.45 – Property Partners Earley Auctioneers Fillies Handicap - Perfect Fit – Win
Having gone close at Sligo last time, Perfect Fit should be ready to win now. She ran second to the well-fancied Maontri over this trip three weeks ago and looks to hold Takeachanceonme on that run. Takeachanceonme had earlier finished in front of Love Letter when second to cosy winner Knocknagree on heavy ground at Listowel in May and clearly won’t be bothered if the rain continues to fall.
7.15 – Irish Stallion Farms EBF Maiden - Monolight – Win
This has an open look to it but Monolight should come out on top. She looks to hold Torrey Pines on their run behind the smart Morning Mix at the Curragh on the Friday of Derby weekend. He had earlier gone close over a mile at Leopardstown when second to Law Major and should be too good for the Down Royal runner-up Van Schaick.
7.45 – Listed Lenebane Stakes - Bantry Bay – Win
The bet of the night, Bantry Bay has plenty going for him here. He was just edged out on his debut on heavy ground at Leopardstown on his debut in May but went on to win in fine style at the Curragh next time. He ran a blinder over to miles at Royal Ascot on just his third start and is certainly the one to beat. Drifting Mist is just one of these who will want fast ground and she might need to improve on her Curragh effort when third to Bondi Beach, the horse that pipped the selection at Leopardstown in May. The drop back in trip will suit Drifting Mist and she looks a bigger threat than either Panama Hat or Don Camillo.
8.15 – Roscommon Herald Handicap - Azzuri – Win
Despite top-weight, Azzuri might be best. The ground was soft when he won over a shorter trip than this here in May and he didn’t run all that badly in the Ulster Derby over this distance last time. The rain that is falling is certainly in his favour and he can account for Buzz Off Barroso who had subsequent winner Easy Boy just behind him when second at Ballinrobe last time.
8.45 – At The Races Maiden - Affinisea – Win
Although he has clearly had his problems, Affinisea is likely to be popular as he makes a belated debut. He is bred to win plenty more than this and should be too good for the likes of Henry’s Girl who had French Approach just behind her when second to another John Oxx-runner in the shape of Awesome Star at Leopardstown. Hudson’s Bay and Macnicholson looks best of the rest.
COMPIEGNE - 6th July
Unlucky last time (9) RACENESS could strike with a clear run. (3) ALZUBRA, ridden by Pierre-Charles Boudot, can be in the frame. (5) AKAALEEL has enough potential to do well in this category. (11) MUYEVA has a good chance judging by recent efforts. (1) SI LUNA deserves some attention with Christophe Soumillon in the saddle.
(4) CLEONTE, trained by Andre Fabre, can have high hopes in this event for juvenile contenders over 1400m. (1) PASTRIDA, trained by Henri-Alex Pantall, is very consistent since debut and must be retained. (3) DANZA DE LA BARRE should battle for the places. (6) DERVAHEL made an average effort on debut but cannot be dismissed either.
(1) DAHLIA BERE caught the eye last time in this category and could strike again. (5) NAOUSA made a pleasant performance on debut recently and could do well with Christophe Soumillon in the saddle. (6) CUNICHOPE ran well last time over course and distance and looks poised for a decent podium, while the German challenger (4) RED RUBIN, trained by an efficient trainer, deserves some attention too.
(5) ONIRIQUE made an encouraging reappearance recently and has a good chance. (7) ZOUTIA, ridden by the efficient apprentice Vincent Cheminaud, must also be considered. Noticed last time at this level, (1) AL QUEENA could put up a good performance. (4) RAVEN RIDGE is also fancied to run at decent odds.
(1) XEDRA acts over course and distance and must be shortlisted. (4) IMPEDIMANTA, ridden by Mickael Barzalona, is running for the first time in this category and could run well. (3) CITY PRINCESS could put up a good performance too. Decent second last time in a handicap, (5) ECLIPSE LUNAIRE should battle for the places again.
(2) KAIO CHOP can do better than last time against rivals like these. (3) DER GRAUE is competitive in claimers and should give him a hard time. (7) BONNOPTION looks poised for a decent podium judging by recent efforts. (5) ZANTENOR, ridden by Pierre-Charles Boudot, can do better than last performances and cannot be dismissed either.
(4) VENETIEN is moving down in grade and could put up a good performance. (7) TANGATCHEK finds an easier spot in this claimer and should be one of the main dangers. (2) CAUFIELD can have hopes to be in the frame too. (13) PRINCESSE LEILA, ridden by Christophe Soumillon, has theoretically a first-rate chance while (5) ZEMIRO could cause an upset.
(2) SEAPORT is absent since November but could do well in this grade D race over 2400m. Noticed last time in a big handicap, (5) ETNA must be retained. (3) OAK HARBOUR is worth a race like this but hasn't raced since November 2014. (6) CLEAR MIND romped home last time at lower grade and deserves some attention.
VICHY - 6th July
On the podium 5/6 races since May this year, (9) VEZAC DUOPHI is the most consistent gelding of the field and is expected to fire once again. (6) VAHID is racing barefoot and thanks to some decent results under saddle should catch a fine place on the podium. However, (7) VELINA can upset at this level and will definitely have a word to say for the places. Finally, (4) URISTAN DE BRENUS should add some spice to the event as the 7yo is on form and can surprise everyone.
Tricky read in this E-grade qualifier for the LeTrot Open of Regions, in which the Franck Anne-trained (16) BEAU DE GRIMOULT seems to have the best opportunity to fire. Regular and racing barefoot, (6) BRAVO LA RAVELLE should play a major role. For the places, (8) BEHEF BRILLOUARD, (5) BLUE WHITE, and (12) BLACK ROCK DREAM have all done well in similar conditions and are expected to be in the battle for the podium.
On great form, (6) VEGAN NELGER was noticed recently on a similar track and should be a favourite. However, (4) VIF RENO can upset for first place, just like (17) VERSO DU JAAR who's racing at a higher level than usual but whose form should be considered seriously. (10) UHEL LESMELCHEN has found a good entry and should also have a word to say. Finally, (5) VOILA NARCY is a good pick for a place in the shakeup.
There will be many opportunists in this race as most of the contenders have some excellent lines. To start with, (4) AMBASSADEUR D'AM should be the logical favourite. (9) ALLEZ DARLING is regular and can upset. (8) ALBAN DU POITOU was noticed here last time and will have a word to say for the places, while, (11) ALIK JULRY is on form and the most experienced horse of the field.
A difficult read in this race for 3yo colts and geldings. (3) CADEAU DE LA VIE was noticed on debut and is expected to confirm without breaking stride this time. (6) CYRUS DE BERTRANGE was also unhappy in both career starts but thanks to a small field this time, can find his way through. (10) CYGNUS DU GUELIER will need to confirm his last race on grass, while (2) CRISTIANO DE LOU is unraced but was well qualified.
(9) BODEGA DU CLOSET has found a good entry far from home and trainer-driver Franck Anne hasn't made such a long trip for the sake of it. Reappearing (5) BERLINE DU VIVIER isn't that far from catching another win but will have to keep a square trot all the way round. (10) BAHIA DE LIGNY was beat by better last time and can surprise, while (11) BELLA DE CHOISEL trotted fast at Caen in June and will definitely have a word to say here.
In the midst of putting paid to her rivals at Caen last time, (9) CARLA DU FEUILLET was finally disqualified as she crossed the wire. This time, however, the filly is racing at an easier level and is expected to win. (7) CARLA will have to get a good start if she is to give the selection a hard time. (12) COMETE JET is on form and can expect a good result at Vichy, while (11) CHANELLE DE SAGA is reappearing after a short break but can upset.
HYERES - 6th July
Recent winner (10) VOLCANO FLIGNY can strike again even if he's only unshod in front today. (6) BREVIANA may be a revelation in this company, especially with Philippe Masschaele in the saddle. (9) VANGISKAN SCOTT ran well behind (10) VOLCANO FLIGNY last time and is a worthy podium player. (7) BLUE BUBBLE BLUE debuts in mounted race and must be considered too.
Recent winner (9) BELLA RAGAZZA looks well placed on the front line and will be the punter's favourite. (11) BEAUTE DARCHE has got the best titles and has been knocking on the door recently. (3) BEAUFORT DU MELEUC just has to trot to be competitive. (4) BEAU JAMES should still be considered in spite of last race.
On form (4) VALPOLICELLO has a number of assets. He should fight out the finish, but (3) TRAGEDIEN, well placed on the first tier behind the autostart, will probably be his main rival. (1) VAILLANT DU VIVIER has been carefully prepared for this race and could be on the podium with a clear run, while (11) UNO LATINO has been consistent for a few months, so should be in the mix again too.
Logically, (14) ALI CLUB, who has been irreproachable for many months, will be the punters' favourite in this event for 5yos, but (12) AMIGO DU VIVIER should not be far away. (13) AULNE PLANAIS, convincing at this grade, has to be shortlisted. (15) AZUR DAIRPET, running in his category, can be considered next.
Even on second tier, (12) REVE D'ETE has to be considered after what he showed at the beginning of the year. Lots of question marks about (6) VOYAGE D'AFFAIRE but he is worth a D race while well-placed (4) UT DE DOMPIERRE is interesting to follow even in harness racing. If (9) UNLOVE DE BEYLEV improves from his three reappearance race, he has a major part to play.
(10) APERO DU MIDI and (8) VIXENE DE SANDRE seem able to fight for the win. Both are proven over course and distance and could beat (7) UDO BEJI who is running for the third time for his new trainer. (12) UN FEU DE JOIE has already beaten (8) Vixene de Sandre but is remaining shod this time.
A very difficult F race for 3yos to decipher. (8) CIRCE DES VALERINS made good debut and is Yannick-Alain Briand's choice. (1) CYPHAROVA and (2) CONDOR DU ROUMOIS are the only one in the race to have also been placed so they can be considered. (10) CASANOVA DRY is trained and driven by Romuald Mourice and is a gamble.
(1) VALLEY CHARM is a logical favourite in this amateur race but opposition can't be neglected and amateur specialist (5) TYPHON DU PLANTIS has a great turn of foot. (12) USHER DE PIENCOURT should do well at this level for his second race for his new trainer. (11) UN TRES BON ESPOIR is a gamble: fourth race in the last two years and expected improvement.